April 02, 2012

Give more than you can spare.



A friend of mine sent me this quote by C.S Lewis and it’s given me much to think and pray about.


This concept of our generosity actually “pinching and hampering us” was something that struck me as profound and I am challenged by and maybe you will be too.

How often do I give to the point where it truly affects me? Not just what I can spare? 


I’m realizing that generosity is a condition of our hearts, not a condition of our bank account or circumstances.
If I'm not generous with $1, I won’t be generous with $1000.

As the Lord has been bringing this theme of generosity to mind, I had an honest time of self reflection where I felt prompted by the question:

What is it that keeps me from living generously?


Without hardly a hesitation the word FEAR came to mind.  
What am I afraid of?

As I worked through what this meant, I realized I was afraid that there wouldn’t be enough for MY needs.

I had to admit to the Lord that I didn’t trust He would take care of my every need.

It was a hard thing to say because my whole life has been one glorious story of the Lord providing for my every need! It was hard to tell the Lord, "despite your track record in my life, I still have fear and doubt that you can and will take care of me."


 My fists were tightly clenched, not willing to let go of that “security blanket” and truly live generously. With hands closed we are certain to not lose anything, but we won’t be able to receive anything either.

And I have seen bit by bit as I release the tight grip and work through the fear and distrust, there is something so beautiful to be gained: 

JOY! Overflowing!

What is holding you back from living a life of extravagant generosity? Maybe it isn't your money but your time that you hold onto tightly?


“And my God shall supply all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” phil 4:19

1 comment: